Monday, August 07, 2006

Gloves


I love rubber gloves as objects--I really do. In college I designed costumes for a show called "The Swan" where a character turns from swan to man. The director and I discussed all kinds of swan costumes and one of the things I made was a swan wing made from a broken umbrella and rubber gloves (the love interest was a nurse). I also made a life size origami swan out of batting. In the end nothing was used and the actor simply rolled out of a basket of laundry and transformed through acting--it was the best choice for the show, but I was always kind of sad that none of those great images had made it to the stage. I ended up using the origami swan in a window display. I believe I have the glove wing around in storage. I love the way rubber gloves look like discarded skin--yup, I'm weird that way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it just rubber gloves you like or is it all things made of rubber?
I have a passion for rubber hot water bottles myself.
Lesley

Unknown said...

Interesting. No, just gloves really, the way they look like deflated hands, but can look like other things too.