Friday, June 09, 2006

The Birthday Cake Hat

No picture today because I don't have a picture of this hat. I made it in elementary school and I hadn't thought about it in years. Today is my birthday and I was thinking about that as I woke up and I suddenly remembered this hat that I had made with my mother for some school spirit event.

My parents had a book store called "Frontier Bookstore" when I was a child. It had a frontier theme with bandana print for the bags and at some point my mother bought these faux straw boaters--I think for the presidential elections/bicentennial. They were made of some styrofoam material stamped to look like straw. I remember they came with a red, white and blue band and if you took that off the styrofoam was smooth underneath. There must have been some spirit day at my school--crazy hat day--and she and I decided to make one of these into a birthday cake--it was nearly the color of buttercream. Half of the store was a Hallmark gift store and there were pkg. toppers that were fuzzy balls. We put those around the brim like icecream, and gimp trim for icing and then poked birthday candles in the top. I really hadn't thought about this in years. My mother would say, "See, that's where your creativity comes from." I don't know if I want to give her all of the credit, but I've sure been making crazy hats for a long time.

No comments: